Up 'n' Coming Posts

- My Blush Collection
- Makeup Tips for Brides
- Bridal Portfolio
- I Heart Taupes: My Collection
- FOTD/OOTD
- Product Reviews: Hits 'n' Misses
- The Best Concealer out there....

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Picture-perfect pout!



Pouty perfect lips can be achieved using injectable dermal fillers. These can be applied to upper and lower lip to enhance lip definition and volume. And as I near the age of 31, a tweak here and there is soon in order. I have never liked my lips - too thin an upper lip border and that tiny bit asymmetrical. Certainly not luscious, generous or even near 'Jolie-like'. I have spent 2 years in ugly braces dealing with pain, followed by major orthognathic surgery coupled with regular bleaching nasher sessions...that I have since, convinced myself that I deserve this. My teeth do - that is. Yes, I know - secretly, in an ideal world I would improve my nose profile (as I have a bit of a Roman -esque bump), or lipo would be nice, or even BA (otherwise known as breast augmentation). But- quite frankly-I am not that brave and I have to simply embrace what I've been given.

However, lip injections are only temporary, so if I don't like it - it'll be gone in 6-9 months.

So here goes my research....(my appointment is wednesday next week BTW eeeeeek :))

Temporary dermal fillers are injectable hyaluronic acid gels. Because they are naturally-occurring complex sugar molecules they reduce the chances of foreign body reactions and allergies. Thus, no pre-procedure patch testing is required. They act like a sponge, binding to water creating volume. They can be used to diminish wrinkles, nasolabial folds as well as creating fuller lips.

There are many injectable gels available but commonly Juvederm and Restylane are used. From what I have read, Juvederm is much smoother and finer in consistency providing a very smooth natural feel. Both products however, can be injected with lidocaine ( a local anaethetic) obliterating the need for dental blocks.

Treatment varies from 30 -45 minutes. The philosophy is 'less is more here' and there will be no 'trout pout'. So if I want a bit more of a touch-up, a second appointment can be made (included in the price of the vial).

Lasting effects 6-12 months.

Side effects include redness, pain/tenderness, firmness, swelling, lumps/bumps, bruising, itching and discolouration. There is also the risk of infection.

No alcohol before, off NSAIDs, avoid exercise and sunlight post-procedure.

The perfect lip proportions have been extensively analysed.

1. Using the concept of the divine Fibonnaci proportion. The ideal ratio of upper to lower lip is 1:1.6, my ratio has been calculated as 1:1.2.

2. The lower lip contour should be symmetrical on both sides with slightly less volume in the midline.

3. Elevate the lateral edges to give the appearance of plumpness

4. The philtrum columns above the cupid's bow should be straight and prominent

5. Correction of marionette lines to give upturned appearance rather than a sad-looking downturned lip.


Anwho, I will be posting before and after pics soon....wish me luck :)


No comments:

Post a Comment